Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Whole Wheat English Muffins


I find that breakfast tends to be the most difficult to get in your day and it’s often hard to make a quick, healthy decision during the week.  I usually make these on the weekend to prepare for the week.  During the week I’ll just open one up by sticking a butter knife in the side of the muffin in a few different places and then pull it apart, toast, and put some natural peanut butter on it and close it like a sandwich and take it with me and eat it on my way to work.


First mix:              ½ cup warm water
                                1 tsp butter
                                2 tsp yeast
                                1 Tbsp Honey
              
  Allow these to sit for 5 minutes, until foamy.

Then add:            1 cup whole wheat flour
                                1 cup all purpose flour
                                1 Tbsp ground flaxseed
                                ¼ cup steel cut oats
                                ½ cup low fat milk
                                2 tsp salt
            
    Mix all ingredients together


Then sprinkle counter with cornmeal and roll flat to about 1 inch thick.  I use one of my small glasses as the “cookie cutter” but if you have a circle cookie cutter you can use that.  My glass is about 4 inches in diameter.  Continue these steps with the scraps.  Let the english muffins sit, covered.  I usually cook dinner while I let them sit. 


After I’m done cleaning up from dinner I’ll cook these. It’s really quick.  Just get a pan out, spray with some non stick cooking spray or use a dab of olive oil and spread around the pan with a paper towel. Cook on each side for a few minutes until browned.


Once both sides are cooked allow muffins to cool before refrigerating.  This recipe usually makes about 10 which is perfect for a week of breakfasts for 2. If you have a family of 4 simply double the recipe.  Sometimes I will add about 1 Tbsp of lemon zest or about ¼ cup berries (raspberries, blueberries, or blackberries) to change things up. 


Enjoy!



Nutrition Facts per English muffin:  112.6 calories, 1.1 g total fat, 0.3 gsaturated fat, 0.1 g monounsaturated fat, 1.3 mg cholesterol, 472.1 mg sodium,43.3 mg Potassium, 23.0 g total carbohydrate, 2.5 g fiber, 2.3 g sugar, 4.1 gprotein

No comments:

Post a Comment