Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Whole Wheat Italian Bread


I make this probably once a month or once every other month depending upon whether I'm having company over or not.  It makes 3 loaves of bread which is great because you can freeze two of them and take them out as needed as long as the loaf as 1 day to defrost in your refrigerator.



Start with:

1 tsp sugar
3 cups warm water
1 tbsp yeast



Allow this mixture to sit and get foamy. 

Then stir in:

2 cups of all purpose flour
2 cups of whole wheat flour

Allow this mixture to rest for 15 minutes

Add:

1 tbsp of salt
2 cups of all purpose flour
1 cup of whole wheat flour
Knead until smooth (about 5 minutes)
I used my dough hook for mixer


Allow dough to rise in a lightly greased bowl.  I've tried in the oven with the oven light on as I've heard that provides a great temperature for rising and I've also tried setting it aside on the counter covered and I have not noticed a difference.  Allow dough to sit for a good hour.
then divide into 3 sections and shape into football-sized loaves.


cover pan with a kitchen towel and allow loaves to sit for another 30 minutes

Mist loaves with water and then bake in preheated oven for about 30-40 minutes at 450 degrees F
You can continue to mist with water while in the oven and flip the loaves.  I've tried this but I have not noticed a huge difference.
You know your bread is done when you get a hollow sound if your knock on the outer crust.


No comments:

Post a Comment